Saturday, July 7, 2007

365 days = 100 books?


I've often wondered what my lifetime total of books read would be...

One Christmas, my uncle mentioned trying to get 100 books read in a year. I kept that in the back of my head for a couple years, and then finally started documenting my reading list in 2003. I can't quit. I fear that I'm doomed to a lifetime of booklisting.

The additional challenge lies in that most of my November free time is spent in an attempt to write my own novel. (See www.nanowrimo.org) The additional inspiration/competition is that my mother is now keeping track of her annual lists.

So, at ten books a month for ten months, leaving November for one or two books and novel-writing, and December for one or two books and Christmas shopping, it's entirely possible, right?
It's July, and I should be in the 70s, but I'm still in the low 60s. For sharing purposes, I also keep my list in excel files so that it is more easily emailable to my other reader-friends. The book list at the right contains my last ten books. Let me know if you're interested in the list of the first 50!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I TOTALLY used to do that. I stopped (changed planners, where I had been keeping "the list"). And now I miss it. I don't know if I ever passed one hundred - my original goal was at least 52, which I managed easily.

Do you count re-reads? Just curious... Now I'm inspired to write, to blog, AND to start keeping a list again!

-Kris :D